Friday, September 11, 2009

Logical

You have to love Spock. The epitome of logic, Spock was always fighting the emotions that he equated with "being human." There's some of Spock in each of us, I think. Where one would declare their emotions to the world, another will stay firmly rooted in the Vulcan philosophy of repression. The human race is far from logical. Most of us think with our hearts and other pieces of anatomy, much to our detriment. Do any of these notable quotes from Mr. Spock ring true with your life?

"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."
--Spock in 'Errand of Mercy'

"I have never understood the female capacity to avoid a direct answer to any question."
--Spock in 'This Side of Paradise'

"I am what I am, Leila, and if there are self-made purgatories, then we all have to live in them. Mine can be no worse than someone else's."
--Spock in 'This Side of Paradise'

"The creature within me is gone. I am free of it, and the pain. I am also quite blind. An equitable trade, Doctor. Thank you."
--Spock in 'The Immunity Syndrome'

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock in 'Amok Time'

You can see more of these quotes in this article I found at Associated Content.

I am particularly focused on the first quote. "It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want." We tell ourselves that we want the American dream, a big house, several cars, a spouse, kids and a partridge in a pear tree. In a word, we want our definition (and everyone's defininition is different) of success.

For a very long time, my password for everything was "success" because I felt that if I wanted it bad enough and typed the word enough times, it would happen for me. Yet when I received the material trappings of success, I wasn't happy. Now, I have none of the trappings and I'm still not happy. I'm happiest when I'm wanting.

Is that human nature? Maybe. Fuel for ambition? Possibly. Wanting keeps us going and gives us a purpose. When the end result is acheived what is there? Surprise... more wanting. You just might want it better or seek to climb to the next level. When does wanting turn into satifaction? I'm still trying to figure out the answer to that question.

Live long and prosper.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Success...tricky, tricky. Some feel successful doing nothing. Some feel successful if they do better than their parents. Some feel they need to have it all to be successful. Danger Will Robinson! I say set realistic goals for life and you're a success!!!